Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Treat Others How They Treat You

Monique Davis
Professor Mary Louise Hill
ENG 200
September 25, 2016
Treat Others How They Treat You
My belief is very short but it has wide ranges of meaning to it. My belief is “Treat others how they treat you”. I know it’s copied from the Golden Rule, but I switched up a little. This belief is from past experiences with different people that came into my life. For example, friends will come and go. But I have never had a friend that treated me wrong, got a taste of their own medicine, and came back. My belief can be positive for the person who feels the same way, but negative for the person who doesn’t.
One day, my father and I went to Red Lobster. This is our “I had a great day and it’s payday, let’s go out” Or “We have a taste for seafood” spot. The waitress, who looks fairly new, walks up to us with her notepad ready to take our order, just by looking at her and the way she spoke I can tell she’s nervous and ready to go home. My father is a very impatient, critical man.  Before she said the regular greeting, she apologized and said “this is my first day, so please bear with me.” So, being with being the understanding person I am. I said “its fine, we’ll definitely work with you.” After she took our drinks and our food order, my father complained about how slow and shaky she was. My father said something under his breath and she heard him. She went into the bathroom crying. I looked at my father and told him “Hey, take it easy on her; she’s trying her best on her first day”. He, of course didn’t want to hear or understand that. I went into the bathroom and told her “You are way too beautiful to be crying, especially from ungrateful people” I reached in my wallet and gave her a $20 tip. She quickly refused, but I insisted. I know how the first day of work and how customers can be.
I treat others how they treat me is a belief I have that will stick with me forever. People have bad days that other people will not understand. That waitress treated us with nothing but respect. Therefore, my belief was that she deserved to be treated with respect as well. I’d rather have positive people associate with me so I can treat them with the same respect. 

1 comment:

  1. that was a beautiful story and very nice of you to do that because although you know how your father is she doesnt

    ReplyDelete