Monday, October 17, 2016

I believe

Callum Christie 9/16/16 Prof M Eng I believe A saying I’ve had tattooed on my arm since I was 16, “Where there is love, there is life”. I believe that each defining moment in our life can be as simple as taking change out of your pocket and giving it to someone homeless, or taking the time to help your children with homework. Love is a powerful word and being able to share that surreal feeling with those around you is a beautiful gift. When I was young I was awkward and shy, I barely had any friends, and I was bullied almost every day by the same kids. I never really talked to anyone in elementary school, I mostly played videogames to stay distracted from real life. I felt this rewarding feeling when I moved on in the stages on the game. Not many people had the same idea of fun that I did. I wasn’t athletic and didn’t like being outside but as I got a little older I started going out and playing sports with my little brother, he is so good now. Getting me involved in soccer I started to fall in love with the sport and never wanted to go home once I got a ball at my feet. It was like a state of ecstasy once I got running, the feeling of the air on my face, the smell of freshly cut grass, and the sound of bugs coming out as the sun goes down. I never wanted to be taken away, I couldn’t tell if it was an addiction or not but I felt home. I felt like my second family was my team and I knew I always had a place of belonging. It never lasts forever; so I cherished every moment of it like it was my last. I loved hearing the sound of my parents cheering and screaming as I played. That alone made me so competitive; I always went on the field to make my parents proud. Before long I was playing in England with Chelsea and moving into the residential trails. Staying in England was beautiful and the guys I met ill know for the rest of my life. By the end of it all I was a better athlete and a person. Every day I kept the same mentality though and never lost sight of the purpose behind playing soccer. I had found a love in soccer I couldn’t find anywhere else. So I respected the game and the comrades that shared the same views as I did like they were my own blood. I came back to the states at 14 to begin my soccer career here and I had already told my mum I had wanted a tattoo then, she thought I was nuts. But even then she knew how I felt about the game and how It would influence my future. So when I was 16 she let me get it anyway by signing off, and since then I have lived my life with that creed in ink on my arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment