Friday, September 30, 2016

The Strength in Empathy and Understanding


            When a situation occurs and seems to be turning the opposite way that you hoped, I believe you should stay calm. Instead of screaming until you lose your voice, stay humble and try to understand the other side of the story. Put yourself in the other person’s shoes and try to feel what they feel. Throughout life, many obstacles will be thrown your way and only you can decide how to react.  During my middle and high school career, life has done nothing to help me. Instead, it has chosen to try and throw me off balance. Between tests in history to losing friends over stupid reasons like having stolen their crush’s heart or offended them by calling them stupid.
The main happening that tested my belief was playing travel softball. Not realizing that travel would have so many politics incorporated into it, I was left heartbroken. I played for a travel league for four years and when I tried out for my fifth, I found out that two teams wanted me from the same league. By the end of the tryouts, I was super ecstatic knowing that other coaches saw so much potential in me that they wanted me. Although with my luck, it seemed too good to be true. The two coaches said they would talk it over of who would take who and proceeded to make calls and make the players aware who will play where. Days went by and I wondered if I was ever going to hear from them. My mom saw I was affected by this so she called them. That’s when I found out they never talked about where I would go. I was told I did not have a team because they forgot about me. While my parents screamed at the coaches on the phone, I went upstairs and went to bed.
The next couple of weeks I felt like a dead corpse walking. I was devastated knowing that I wouldn’t play with my friends or even play the sport that over took my life. I’d find myself crying or even blankly staring into space replaying what had happened. I thought of everything possible of what I could have done to make the outcome different but, there was nothing I could do. After I thought about it intently for hours, it came to me. I have no right to be mad because it was not on purpose. I then found out from an old teammate’s parent, that an outside source talked to one of the coaches. The outside source said that I was too good to be playing on his team and that I should play on the other team. For a while I was mad at that person, then again realized he wanted what was best for me even though it was not his place to say anything.
I ended up switching to a different softball league and was thankful that things had happened the way they did. The whole time my parents screamed and lost sleep over it. I could not change the situation. I compared my parents to myself; they looked terrible and lacked sleep. On the other hand, I felt alright and had slept fairly well. Because my parents didn’t stay calm, they started unhealthy habits. I believe that by staying calm and humble things will work out in the end, even when they seem like the world is going to end. It does not end. Instead, life goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment